Travel guide ukraine Travel guide galicia, western ukraine

Ivano-Frankivsk tour with private guide

Places to visit in Ivano-Frankivsk, Stanislav

History of Ivano-Frankivsk, Stanislav

Ivano-Frankivsk formerly Stanyslaviv, Stanislau, or Stanisławów

 Originally in the territory of the present city there were the villages of Zabolotya (mentioned in 1435) and Knyaginin (1449). In the middle of the 17th century, Stanislaw “Rewera” Potocki, a Polish noble, magnate and military leader, bought Zabolotya with the surrounding lands and used them for recreation and hunting.

In 1650, his son - Andrzej Potocki - began the construction of wooden fortifications in this place. May 7, 1662, he founded a town and named it “Stanislawow” (in honor of his father or his son). August 14, 1663, King John II Casimir formally approved the coat of arms of the town. In 1666, the town hall was completed. In 1672, the fortress was rebuilt in stone and the Potocki stone palace was finished.

In 1772, as a result of the First partition of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, the town became part of the Austrian Empire. In 1801, because of the bankruptcy of Potocki, all his property was transferred to the state. The fortifications began to be dismantled and the materials were used for building purposes and paving roads. New streets were laid on the place of the buried ditches.

In 1868, half of the town was destroyed as a result of a fire. In 1890, the population of Stanislawow was 22,391 people. In 1915, during the First World War, the Russian troops reached the town and heavy fighting greatly damaged it. In 1917, Stanislawow was occupied by the Russian troops. In early 1918, after the conclusion of the Brest Peace Treaty, the Austrian authorities returned to the town.

In October 1918, as a result of the collapse of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the West Ukrainian People’s Republic was formed. May 25, 1919, during the Polish-Ukrainian war, a Polish uprising took place in Stanislawow, then the Romanian troops entered the town, which remained there until August. In 1920, during the Polish-Soviet war, the town was briefly occupied by Soviet troops.

In 1921, in accordance with the Treaty of Riga, Stanislawow became part of Poland. In 1925, it was decided to join Knyaginin to Stanislawow, as a result of which the area of the town doubled. According to the 1931 census, there were 198,359 residents in Stanislawow, of which Poles - 120,214 (60.6%), Ukrainians - 49,032 (24.7%), Jews - 26,996 (13.6%).

September 1, 1939, the German troops attacked Poland, the Second World War began. September 17, 1939, the Red Army of the Soviet Union entered the territory of Poland, which later became part of the Ukrainian SSR. After the entry of Western Ukraine into the USSR, the city was renamed Stanislav and became one of the regional centers of the Ukrainian SSR. In 1940, Stanislav Teacher’s Institute was opened.

June 22, 1941, the day of Germany’s attack on the USSR, the city was occupied by the Hungarian troops. October 12, 1941, about 8-12 thousand Jews were killed. By 1943, the number of Jews living in the city was reduced to about 11,000 people. February 23, 1943, they were killed, after which the city was declared “judenfrei” (“free of Jews”). July 27, 1944, Stanislav was liberated by Soviet troops.

October 6, 1945, the Stanislav State Medical Institute was opened. October 31, 1945, a group of the Ukrainian Insurgent Army raided the area. In response, until February 1946, the troops of the NKVD (the People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs) carried out a sweep of the nearby forests until the group was liquidated.

As a result of the exchange of population between Poland and the Ukrainian SSR, the Polish population of Stanislav was resettled in Opole, and people of Ukrainian nationality who had previously lived in Krynica-Zdroj moved to Stanislav. In 1959, the population of Stanislav was about 66,000 people.

September 9, 1962, the city celebrated 300 years from the day of its foundation and was renamed Ivano-Frankivsk in honor of the Ukrainian poet and writer Ivan Franko who repeatedly visited it, wrote and read his works here. In 1971, the population reached 110,000 people.

In the early 1990s, Ivano-Frankivsk was one of the centers of the movement for Ukrainian independence.